IEEE Senior Member Application
Senior Member is the highest grade for which IEEE members can apply. The IEEE encourages all members to upgrade their membership to Senior Member when they are eligible to demonstrate their professional standing.
The requirements for Senior Member include 10 years of professional experience (Your educational experience is credited toward that time as follows: three years for a baccalaureate degree in an IEEE-designated field, 4 years if you hold a baccalaureate and masters degree,5 years if you hold a doctorate) with five years of significant performance. Please see details on the Senior Member Requirements page at
Benefits of IEEE Senior Membership
- The professional recognition of your peers for technical and professional excellence.
- Senior Member Plaque: Since January 1999, all newly elevated Senior Members have received an engraved Senior Member plaque to be proudly displayed for colleagues, clients and employers to see. The plaque, an attractive fine wood with bronze engraving, is sent within six to eight weeks after elevation.
- Up to $25.00 gift certificate toward one new Society membership.
- A letter of commendation to your employer on the achievement of senior member grade (upon the request of the newly elected Senior Member.)
- Announcement of elevation in Section/Society and/or local newsletters, newspapers and notices.
- Eligibility to hold executive IEEE volunteer positions. Can serve as Reference for Senior Member applicants. Invited to be on the panel to review Senior Member applications.
How to Apply for IEEE Senior Membership
- Contact qualifying references, and request them to fill out the required Reference Form on your behalf. You can download the form at http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/senior-members/reference.html
- Complete online application/nomination form. You may submit your application in any of the formats provided, but for the quickest processing, use the online form. You can find the form at http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/senior-members/application.html
Note: The applicant must also provide three references from current IEEE members holding Senior Member, Fellow or Honorary Member grade. If you have difficulty in locating Senior Members or Fellows to serve as references, please contact one of the Section Officers (http://www.ieeecincinnati.org/section-officiers/). We will assist you in the application process and in identifying references for you. Please check out application deadlines and checklist at the link below http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/senior-members/apply.html